Thursday, January 15, 2009

January 15th

Certain dates, times and events are etched in the memory forever. You don't ever forget how it felt...the terrible pain and at the same time a comfort that comes from a Father in Heaven who understands your loss and grief. For me that date is January 15th. In the words of a Garth Brooks song, "January's alway bitter, but this one beats all..." January 15, 1999 Krea and I's little boy, Kelby died of viral myocarditis. A virus that if it would have attacked his throat instead of his heart would have just been laryngitis. Instead it caused his heart to go into an irregular heartbeat and then quit altogether. It was the most difficult experience of our lives. It is the 10th anniversary of that event and as I looked through pictures, cards, thoughtful notes and the way people supported us... I couldn't help but be overwhelmed with gratitude for ward members, friends, Mother's of Angels and especially family that helped us get through it. I know that all them helped us to 'bear our burden'. I seriously don't know how we would have gotten through it without that support and the support that comes from knowing a Savior knows us and everything we have to go through and the knowledge that a Father in Heaven loves us. So thanks to all of you!! I know that we will see Kelby again!! Families ARE forever!


We miss you Bud!!

8 comments:

Alana said...

Wow, 10 years. Kelby looks older than 3. It must be because he was such a mature little guy. I have to say, there is something powerful about someone who has lost a child bearing testimony of the eternal nature of families.

5boystokiss said...

We love you and thanks for this post!

KM said...

We just love you guys so much! I remember that day. My Mom had been one of Kelby's nurses. I remember her coming home and crying for hours. Your sweet testimony gives all our family strength when we have trials. What a blessing it is to belong to our church.

Julie said...

I will never forget that day either Val. You and Krea are such an amazing example of strength to our family. Thanks for your testimony. We love you and I can't wait to see Kelby again some day too.

Anonymous said...

I always start thinking of Kelby off and on through the holiday season and then into January. This year I kept thinking, wow--10 years. I am so glad that Heavenly Father has been there for you and Krea through all these years. Marsha

Linda Oxborrow said...

I love you, and am so thankful for your strength, endurance, and faith. It is humbling to be your friend and such a wonderful blessing in my life- I too am thankful for your post. Love you

Jamie Bills said...

I can't believe it has been 10 years! I still remember where I was when I heard the news. I couldn't believe it was true that Kelby had passed away. He was a fun little guy. It was so hard seeing such a neat family go through such a tough trial. I love your family and your good examples.

Valerie said...

Thanks everyone for your comments!! They are so sweet and they mean so much to me! Your support has been what helped us through. Thanks so much!!